6.21.2012

My Other Love

I realize I've been M.I.A. for over a week now. I'm still lost in the depths of revision land, though the light's starting to seep through the cracks. Also, I've been busy in real life. Like, way too busy. But enough of my excuses!

I thought I'd take a moment to introduce you all to one of my other loves in life, besides writing. What might that be?


Music, friends!

I know, everyone loves music. But it's kind of a passion of mine. I've been singing (badly, at first) since I was four. I did choir in middle school and made it into the top choir. Though I abandoned choir in high school (I wish I hadn't), I started playing guitar when I was a freshman in high school, and that led to my passion for songwriting.

Lately, I've been rediscovering my passion for singing at very late--or, rather, early hours of the day. For example, it is 2am as I am writing this post, and I just posted a cover of Skinny Love by Bon Iver (Birdy's version) on my tumblr.

So, if you're curious to hear my voice (I don't actually know why I'm letting you), click here.

...
...
...

And if for some reason you really care, you can hear some of my original songs here.

*ducks behind boulders*

*burrows deep into ground*

3 comments:

  1. I just listened to your cover. You have a really lovely voice. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was really good! I'm glad you let us listen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why are you ducking behind that boulder? You should be standing on top of it and doing a two-armed fist pump. It might make you look a little bit like you're having a seizure standing up, but it will get the point across.

    What point?

    You haven't figured it out yet? That's okay, I'll tell you: Stephanie Diaz is Awesomesauce (that is awesomeness covered in sauce which makes the awesomeness even awesome)!

    I like your cover of Skinny Love and I'll be playing it for my sister who adores that song but I LOVE your original works. Left on Broadway is my favorite. It made me happy and if my roommate wasn't watching I would probably do a little dance.

    You've stirred up my brain juices and now I'm feeling nostalgic. I started singing choir in middle school and loved it. It was like I didn't know I loved to sing until I took that class. A few months in my parents decided we needed to move.

    I'll always remember what my choir teacher said when I told her I was leaving. She said "I really wanted to keep you," and I never understood what she meant until much later.

    I did join the choir at my new middle school but at some point I stopped going and eventually switched electives. Looking back, I really don't know why I stopped and wish I hadn't because now I understand what my first choir teacher meant. She'd talked to me about solos when I first auditioned for her and I thought she was just being polite or maybe desperate. It never crossed my mind that I might actually have a good voice.

    Now I just wish I hadn't stopped singing, because I really don't think I'll ever start again. It's a very small shoulda-woulda-coulda.

    I'm really happy that you started singing again and I hope you never stop.

    ReplyDelete